Are there any hidden fees?
There are no hidden fees. The calculator on our website gives you the total amount you have to pay, including all extra cost and 24% local Value Added Tax.
On the other hand you are able to add any extras such as additional insurances, GPS or WiFi device when picking up the car.
Am I allowed to drive on F-roads?
If the car is a 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive, intended and accepted for such use by Orange Car rental, you are allowed to drive on F-roads. On all other cars you may not drive on mountain or highland roads, or roads marked “F” on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes.
The renter/driver may not drive the car where prohibited by law, i.e. off beaten tracks or marked roads, in unmarked paths or tracks, on beaches or other sandy areas, or any other trackless areas.
Any damage caused by crossing rivers is not covered by any insurance so any rivercrossing should be done with extreme caution.
When planning a trip to Iceland we highly reccomend planning your trip in advance and check out the road conditions before you start your trip. You can get information about road condition on this website: http://www.vegagerdin.is/english
What is included in the rental?
All our rentals include CDW insurance, Theft protection, Third party liability, Unlimited Kilometres and 24% local Value Added Tax (VAT). Online payments carry no service charge.
What extra insurances do you offer?
What is not covered by my insurance?
According to the Rental Terms And Conditions, the insurance do not cover:
- Intentional damages or damages due to gross negligence on the part of the driver.
- Damages resulting from the driver being under the influence of controlled or illegal substances, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner.
- Damages caused by a race or test driving.
- Damages caused by war, revolution, civil unrest, or riots.
- Damages done by animals.
- Holes burned into seats, carpets, or mats.
- Damages affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this.
- Damages caused by driving on rough roads, e.g. to the transmission, the drive or drive shaft, and other parts in or attached to the chassis. Damages to the chassis, or any part of the car, resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads. The same applies to damages occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the car when being driven. The underside of the car is not insured.
- Damages resulting from driving in places where driving is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. The car is not insured when crossing rivers or driving in water of any kind. River crossing must be done with extreme care.
- Damages to the car caused by driving on mountain roads and roads marked F on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes. (This does not extend to 4wd and all wheel drive cars accepted by Orange for use on mountain roads – approved cars are insured on all marked roads and tracks).
- Water damages to the car, its electrical system, accessories or engine.
- Damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kind of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.
- No compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/ seawater, if the vehicle is transported by sea.
- Reference is made to the general conditions for accident insurance (Icelandic: kaskótrygging) as set by VIS insurance company at www.vis.is
What is sand and ash protection?
The CDW and SCDW insurance don't cover damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kind of earth material being blown onto the vehicle. Lose ash and fine grained sand covers parts of Iceland in the aftermath of various volcanic activities in recent years. On a windy day this whirls up and blows towards anything in it's path and gives it an undesired dull, matte finish. The SAAP extra insurance extends the CDW and SCDW coverage to these kinds of damages.
How old do I have to be to rent a car?
The renter/driver shall be at least 20 years old, and shall have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year before the rental commences. The renter/driver of a luxury car or a camper van shall be at least 25 years old, and have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year before the rental commences. The renter/driver of a larger vehicle (over 3500 kg total weight or more than 8 passengers) shall be licensed accordingly.
What documents will I need when I pick up the car?
The renter/driver of the car has to present a valid driver's license (does not have to be a international one) and a valid credit card.
What happens if I have a collision?
In the event of a collision or accident, the renter shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as Orange car rental of the incident. The renter may not leave the scene before the police have arrived or an accident report has been filled out. The renter is obligated to report any damages to the car to Orange, regardless of any collision damage waivers (CDW or SCDW) assigned to the rental.
What happens if the car breaks down?
Orange Car Rental has a very ambitious Road side assistance team that is available 24/7. If you have any problems with the car you can contact the roadside assistance team and they will find a solution to your problems.